WATCH THE FIRST SEGMENT OF THE Cambria Press Sinophone World Series RECEPTION!
- Ann Huss (Chinese University of Hong Kong)
- Xiaofei Kang (George Washington University)
- Jianmei Liu (University of Maryland)
- Haun Saussy (University of Chicago)
- Tansen Sen (Baruch College)
- Shu-mei Shih (UCLA)
- Jing Tsu (Yale University)
- David Der-wei Wang (Harvard University)
As the scholar widely credited with coining the term Sinophone, it was fitting that Shu-mei Shih was the one who gave the speech about the field of Sinophone studies. During her speech, Dr. Shih commented that she “would like to espeecially acknowledge Cambria Press for its bold act of recognizing an emerging and burgeoning field … by launching the first-ever Sinophone series.” She then credited Professor Victor Mair as one of the people who has been instrumental in her conceptualization of the term Sinophone because of his creation of the term topolect. She also provided insightful anecdotes how the term evolved for her, a process which started ten years ago.
* * * * * * * *