Cambria Press New Book! Battle for Control, the fifth book in The Future of the Internet series by Janna Quitney Anderson and Lee Rainie, is a comprehensive compilation of results from eight major research reports released in 2012 by the Pew Research Center and Elon University.
Among the trends identified in the preface, Janna Quitney Anderson noted that frighteningly complex changes in financial systems, heightened terror and criminal threat levels, and other concerns are leading more people to say that the security and trust necessary for public exchange of goods and services and for public safety might require that all individuals establish real IDs online, abolishing the potential for anonymity.
Although the book was written prior to the Boston marathon bombing, Anderson also uncannily pointed out the critical role of social media in public safety in her preface, stating that “[w]e are on the verge of even more immersive and mesmerizing, life-enhancing, rights-threatening, criminal- and terrorist-enabling, politically challenging, disruptive networked communications. Such complexity challenges our ability to detect, project, and respond to looming issues.”
At 548 pages, this book is a comprehensive compilation of results from eight major research reports released in 2012 by the Pew Research Center and Elon University. In The Future of the Internet Survey V, more than 1,000 experts shared their views as they imagined the future of the Internet and:
- The always-on, hyperconnected generation who will be in their teens-to-20s by 2020
- The evolution of the mobile Web, HTML5 and native apps
- E-money, “mobile wallets” and financial transactions through near-field communication
- Gamification – the influence of game mechanics implemented for interactivity and engagement
- “Smart systems” and the evolution of more efficient homes
- Corporate responsibility in the digital age
- The influence of “Big Data” in the cloud
- The future of higher education
Recommend this Cambria Press book today! There are affordable Cambria Press e-book versions of this title.
Professors, if you would like to use this for your class, refer your librarian to the Cambria Press Desk Copy Plus Program that helps you get free versions for your students!
Be sure to check out these titles too from the The Future of the Internet Series!
* * * * * * * *